Friday, August 8, 2014

Broken Leg Adventures...

On July 13 around 7:30pm, I twisted my ankle while stepping off of a curb onto some uneven pavement.  I twisted it so hard that it broke my leg and ankle in several places and needed surgery in order to correct the breaks and relocate the ankle.

the after surgery x-ray
It is such a bad break that even though the surgery technically fixed the broken bones, I am not allowed to put any weight on it for at least another 6 to 8 weeks.  After that it will be on to physical therapy and slowly adding weight, until one day I walk like a normal person again.

So as you may imagine, my life has become pretty mundane.  I mostly just lie around with my leg propped up (it is still ridiculously swollen, weeks after surgery) with my chihuahuas nearby.  I read, watch TV, and sleep a lot.



I didn't want to gain any weight while being immobile.  In fact, I want to continue to lose weight.  So, to compensate for my immobility, I am sticking to a semi-strict way of eating for this time.

And it's working.  I've lost 7 pounds in the last 3 and a half weeks.

I had to figure out a way to eat that would keep me at a pretty low calorie count and to make it so that no one had to cook me three meals a day.  (I can't put ANY weight on it, so I have been staying out of the kitchen so far.  That may change soon!)



I decided that the easiest way to accomplish these goals was to do a meal replacement plan like Slim Fast.  Special K makes delicious meal replacement protein bars, and Slim Fast makes delicious meal replacement shakes, so for two meals a day I eat or drink one of those instead of a real meal.  My one meal a day always consists of lots of vegetables, lean protein such as chicken, Boca burger, or beans, healthy oil, and fruit for desert.  I also am regularly tracking on My Fitness Pal and allowing myself a junk food snack or two each day, depending on how many calories are remaining.

I never thought that I would do a meal replacement diet.  But it makes the most sense for my current situation.  Losing weight while being immobile seemed impossible, but with this plan, it's not.  It's actually pretty easy.

My appetite has decreased, probably due to lack of moving around, which makes this not feel like deprivation at all.

Anyway, so that's where I'm at.  It sucks.  I hate that I'm here.  But some day it will be in the past, and I'll be able to exercise and eat more normally again.





3 comments:

SewTypical said...

wow! - so sorry to hear you broke your leg. It's inspiring that you have such a great attitude and have found a way to continue working towards your goal!
Chris

Shannon Tatlock said...

That's an awful break!!! Hope it continues to heal as fast as it can!

Katie said...

Leah!!! I am so sorry to hear that you broke your leg! What a terrible drag =(

I commend you for having the willpower to plow through with your health goals. If it were me, I'm pretty sure I'd be eating pints of ice cream and watching copious amounts of trashy tv. More power to you.

Hopefully these 6 weeks go by quickly and you can enjoy some quality time with your adorable dogs and fiance.

Good luck and I'll be thinking of you!