The biggest reason that I am thinking of ditching the scale is this: I lost 1.3 pounds last week.
Good news, right?
I thought so too, until I was trying on some jeans on Sunday, and found out that they are too tight for comfort. These are the size 12's that had been fitting me like a glove recently... but now I've gained a bit of stomach fat, despite losing 1.3 pounds and am back up to size 14's fitting like a glove and size 12's being zip-able but uncomfortable.
So, the scale can definately be misleading.
I'd rather focus on how my clothes fit than the scale, since I have obviously lost some muscle and gained some fat over the last few weeks (less exercise than normal, more comfort foods than normal, etc.).
I'm not quite ready to give up on the scale completely yet. I am going to do this in baby steps, since I've spent 15 years being preoccupied with the number on the scale.
My 12 month plan for
getting rid of the scale-
1) From now until October 7 (my 27th birthday), continue weighing in weekly. Keep on trying to get down to 138-142.
2) Starting October 7, switch from weekly weigh-ins to every other week for 12 weeks. Keep on trying to get down to 138-142 if not yet there.
3) Starting at the beginning of 2012, drop back to monthly weigh-ins with monthly tape measurements, focusing more closely on the tape measure and how my jeans fit than the number on the scale. Work to maintain the weight of 138-142.
4) July 2012 - final scheduled monthly weigh-in. Keep up with the monthly tape measuring, but no more mandatory weigh-ins. Place scale in closet.
5) August 2012 - I will be free from the scale!!! Hopefully I will have been maintaining a healthy weight for at least a year at this point, and am in the size jeans that makes me feel great (10 or 12). Weigh in only if I really feel that I need to (after a vacation or if my jeans start feeling tight! If that happens and I've gained, go back to weekly or bi-monthly weigh-ins until back at my goal weight range of 138-142).
|jumping for joy!|
Have you ever thought about ditching the scale?
P.S. New diet plan is going great so far!!! I'm loving how healthy and yet how flexible it is!