Monday, August 30, 2010

Recipe: Tempeh and Vegetables


I have recently become very inspired by another blogger, Bitchcakes. I have a link to her blog under "stuff to check out" to the right, if you are interested! She is a vegan Weight Watcher who recently got to goal. One thing about her journey that particular inspires me is the way that she cooks. She recommendsa kind of cooking for beginners that she calls "throwing things together".


This is my first attempt, and it was quite successful!


Tempeh and Vegetables Dinner


Ingredients:

-1 chopped green chili pepper
-1/2 chopped large red onion
-2 chopped small tomatoes
-1 chopped/ripped up heart of romaine lettuce
-1 package of "Marinated Tempeh in cocunut curry" (shown in picture, bought at Whole Foods)
-some red wine vinegar
-some lime juice
-some salt
-minced garlic (I used the kind that comes minced, in the jar)

Instructions:
Pour some lime juice and some red wine vinegar into a large pot. Turn the heat to medium high. Add chopped red onion and minced garlic. Wait for onion to turn clearish brown and add pepper. Stir, adding more lime juice and a dash or two of salt. Add tomatoes

Meanwhile, on seperate skillet, begin to cook the marinated tempeh. On medium heat for two minutes on each side.

Back to the large pot: Add the heart of romaine lettuce to pot. Stire entire contents. Add some more lime juice and salt. Turn to low heat. Cover for a minute or two, until lettuce looks cooked.

Add the marinated tempeh. Stir all ingredients together in the big pot. Add some more salt to taste.

Makes 2 large servings for 2 points each, or 4 small servings for 1 point each. Or eat the whole darn thing for 4 points if you are super hungry! Lots of food.

If I had had more points available last night, I would have poured this over some brown rice. If I had needed another healthy oil, I could have added that to this, too.

The important thing is that I am learning to trust myself in the kitchen. Thanks, Bitchcakes!


1 comment:

*Bitch Cakes* said...

Awesomeness! I'm gonna link to you in tomorrow night's blog. So glad you are taking time to do the 'throw together' meals. They're simple and fun! :)