Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Chik'n Strips recipe!

This is an example of a "thrown together" meal, which I am getting more and more comfortable cooking!
Just look through your freezer and pantry, find some stuff that you think will probably taste good together... and throw it together! This one came out pretty good, so I thought that I would share it here.
I started out with some MorningStar meal starters "chik'n strips", which are the only vegan chicken that I can find in regular supermarkets around here. I found some frozen vegetables, Pictsweet Seasoning Blend in onion and pepper.
I threw these on a skillet together and cooked on medium-high for about 5 minutes. I cooked them in two teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil. But it was still missing something...


I found some DelMonte Italian Herb chunky spaghetti sauce. I poured a half cup of this onto my dish.
It really added something special to it! Plus this can had been in the back on my pantry for years. It would have expired in May, and you know how long it takes canned good to expire!


Add a cup of brown rice, and you're done!




Viola. Done. Entire bowl = 12 PointsPlus
Coming up: My thoughts about Oprah's vegan episode! Stay tuned...


2 comments:

Rachael said...

Sounds great. I bet this would work well with WW pasta as well for a variation on spaghetti :). I have had the chik'n strips, I really like those.

Leah: Not Otherwise Specified said...

Ooh, yes! That would be good, too. Or any whole grain or whole grain product, even all of this wrapped in a tortilla would probably be pretty great.