Thursday, January 26, 2012

SKINNY and THIN

These are two words that I have spent a majority of my life striving to be.  They have always been in the back of my mind as goals.

Which is fine for some  people, but for those of us who have... let's just say, a dysfunctional relationship with our bodies, there has to be a better word to strive for. 

"I wish I were as skinny as..."

"If only I were thin..."

"Some day, once I've lost ______ pounds, I will be thin."

"I wish I were one of those naturally skinny women!"

...and so on and so on.

I've been trying to take the focus of this blog away from weight loss, but the truth is I still desire to be "thin".  I want to wake up tomorrow and be a "naturally thin" person,  who eats whatever I want, whenever I want, and never has to worry about gaining the weight back.

Sigh.

My quest for this post is to start training my brain to have a better word goal to strive for.  "Thin" is just not a healthy word for a EDNOS survivor to strive for. 

A word that I can say to myself whenever I need a boost to get through a workout, or put down my 11th cookie before the whole bag is gone and be able to stop after just 10 cookies (a real struggle that I have occassionally.)

Here's a few to start, and please feel free to add to my list:

Strong

Fit

Sexy

Healthy

Toned

Energetic

Athletic

Can you think of any more?

8 comments:

Amie@RunningOnHealthy.com said...

Free

Liz said...

Comfortable

Rachael said...

Happy

Actually working on a post related to eating disorders. It is slow going though since I have been very busy lately and it is a very hard post for me to write. I can fully relate to this post as a survivor of disordered eating.

Leah: Not Otherwise Specified said...

Rachael- what is your blog address? I would love to read it! :-)

Anonymous said...

you said it already but one of my favorite inspirations is:

STRONG is the new skinny... so true!

skinny should only be used to describe jeans & dips!

xxoo!

Megan said...

I love strong and I love healthy! My cousin was just rambling the other day about how she wants to loose weight to be "thin" for one thing, she is thin, and another, I hate that's her goal. Not strong, and not healthy, or a good role model for her 2 kids, but thin. I just let it go in one ear and out the other because it's a loosing battle for me to talk to her about.

Me said...

confident :)

Brooke said...

Strong is probably the most important one for me.

I'll admit that I've been focused on the bulk lately, but the truth is I just want to be strong and happy.

I just started my own blog to follow my journey back to a healthy body. Check it out if you want!
http://shrinkingintostrength.blogspot.com/