Monday, January 23, 2012

What does health mean to you?

What does being healthy mean to you?  I have a few healthy goals that I'm working towards, that I think I mentioned in a previous entry, but if not, here they are:

1. Learn to love the body that I have.
2. Not diet. (no tracking my food or avoiding any foods because they are "bad")
3. Eat when hungry, don't eat when not hungry.
4. Exercise when I want to, and do fun exercises for the sake of feeling good, not for the sake of burning calories.
5. Get stronger, faster, and healthier.

The following sentence pretty much sums up what those goals are about in one, big, broad goal:

Get over my EDNOS once and for all, and become one of those people who have a healthy relationship with food, exercise, and their body.

That being said, I do really want to be healthy, and there are some more specific things that must be done in order to get and stay healthy.  You probably have a good idea of what you should be  doing to be your healthiest, and here's a list I came up with for me that would probably work for most folks.  I figure that I will only be my healthiest when I'm doing all of the following things:

1) eating a basically healthy diet (lots of whole foods, ENOUGH food, not TOO MUCH, etc.), but with plenty of room for all favorite not-so-healthy options in moderation

2) drinking enough water (at least 2 liters a day for me)

3) getting 7-9 hours of sleep every night

4) exercising my body 5-7 days every week, 40-60 minutes per session

5) spending time with loved ones

6) exercising my mind by learning, reading, etc.

I'm working on #1 constantly, trying to figure out which foods make me feel my best.  I'm great at numbers 2, 4, and 6.  I am failing miserably at #3, and usually do okay with #5, but because of conflicting schedules, am not spending as much time at home with Stacey as I'd like to be.

Well, I'm off to a study group.  Thanks for reading!

I will be posting a giveaway very soon, some time before Friday.  I'm excited about this one, and yes... it's books again!  :-)



"If you have health, you probably will be happy, and if you have health and happiness, you have all the wealth you need, even if it is not all you want." ~Elbert Hubbard


No comments: