Friday, May 21, 2010

Challenge: Day One



Day One as a Superhero!!!
This is the beginning of my 50% Superhero Challenge! Today will be the first day that I will try to be a Superhero. For those who haven't read "The Kind Diet", when I say "superhero" I'm talking about the ultimate diet plan outlined in TKD, basically macrobiotic veganism.

The differences between the vegan plan and the superhero plan? As far as I can tell, food-wise, there are three:
  1. Vegans still eat processed foods, as long as they are vegan. Superheroes don't.
  2. Vegans are encouraged to eat a lot of whole grains and vegetables, but superheroes make whole grains and vegetables the center of their diet.
  3. Vegans eat as many of any type of vegetable and fruit that they want. Superheroes limit fruit to once a day or so, and avoid all vegetables that are considered "nightshade", such as: peppers, potatoes, tomatoes, and eggplants, and superheroes also try to avoid spinach.
Why would ANYONE want to eat this way? What are the benefits? Can I ever eat potatoes and tomatoes again? Good questions. ;-) I will answer all of these soon, but not today because I'm almost out of time!
Here's today's plan:
breakfast: oatmeal, banana
lunch: steamed greens, miso soup, millet
dinner: brown rice, pinto beans, EVOO, sunflower seeds, sea salt
snack: airpopped popcorn with EVOO and sea salt
exercise: 30 minutes Curves circuit training, 60 minutes Nordic Track skier

2 comments:

Melody said...

awesome!!! whats evoo btw?
good luck! toasted sunflower seesd are sooooo good btw mmmmmmmmmmMMmmm

Leah: Not Otherwise Specified said...

Extra Virgin Olive Oil :-) My new favorite food ever.