Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Overused, or used just enough?

"Check yourself before you wreck yourself."
"Progress, not perfection."
Both of these have been running through my head this week. Both have helped me to stop and think before completely derailing myself.
On Monday night, I almost binged. I was eating chocolate graham crackers (my "healthier" alternative to oreos choice for the week; don't ask me why I thought that they wre healthier or why I thought that I'd be less likely to binge on them). I ate a strip, then another, then another... before I knew it I had eaten 10 additional weekly points. My plan for the week had been to spread them out, eating 5 every day.
My plan was ruined. Suddenly I wanted to give up on the day. I wanted to keep eating the rest of the graham crackers and to stop counting. Who cares?! No one would know but me, and they are only graham crackers! They won't hinder my progress... or will they?
I remembered the phrase "Check yourself before you wreck yourself". It was a powerful message for me at that moment! I wrapped up the remaining graham crackers and tracked the 10 points that I had consumed, noting that I still had 11 weeklies left for the rest of the week. It was not the end of the world, and I was still OP.
Last night I realized that I hadn't gotten in my healthy oils for the day. I still had a DP left and it was time for my post-workout-late-night snack. I remembered the phrase, "Progress, not perfection" and I prepared some steamed vegetables with a teaspoon of EVOO. Yes, I would still be one teaspoon shy of the requirement, but the fact that I took the initiative to get in one at the end of the day instead of reaching for something non-filling shows how much progress I've made.
So those are my two helpful phrases for the week, and I'm sure to find more as I stumble through the rest of the week.
What cliche phrases have been especially helpful to you lately?
having technical difficulties again on this blog. No matter how many times I go back and edit in paragraphs, when the post comes up, it is ONE BIG PARAGRAPH, which probably makes it hard to read. I finally gave in a made every other paragraph bold, which hopefully helps you read this... sorry!


2 comments:

Katy said...

If they work, that's what matters. It's probably cliche for a reason-because it helps a lot of people! "Progress not perfection" helps me a lot in a many different situations. It keeps us from getting that "all or nothing" mentality-another cliche but oh so true.

Lindsey said...

Ughhhh, I know the feeling. Too many times (this week) I've just given up and ate like it was my last meal (except not because for my last meal, I wouldn't eat crappy stuff, I'd eat something that's ACTUALLY worth the calories. You should be so proud of yourself for stopping! Rememebr all the calories you saved! Congrats! :)