Wednesday, March 30, 2011

NTFC Update!


The first 3 days of the No Trigger Foods Challenge are over!!! :-)


So far, this challenge has really helped to save me from myself at least twice.


Since starting college, I've found that I have been tempted by emotional/stress overeating, especially in the late evening. My go-to snacks for that were all of my Trigger Foods: chips, "healthy" crackers, "healthy" light bread, and oreos.


Since those are all off-limits for the 21 days of the challenge, I have been doing so much better. Last night, I overate a bit. But here's what my late-night snack/meal consisted of: kidney beans, steamed veggies, 1 tortilla, 5 saltine crackers, 1 tablespoon almond butter.


After tracking all of that into my Sparkpeople tracker, I had actually IMPROVED my nutrition for the day. I had been behind by about 10 grams of protein, and by about 5 grams of fat. I still was in my calorie range and carbohydrate range (the categories that I had surpassed the two previous days). Apparently, if chosen mindfully, my late-night snacking can actually be... HEALTHY??? Wow.


There was a bag of light Ruffles at the house, and a bag of oreos. And believe me, it was only because of the NTFC that I was able to say, "no" to those options, and choose healthier options. And with the saltines and almond butter, I still got my crunch and my sweet. ;-)


Sometimes, this is all mental, isn't it? Really, the NTFC only exists in my head and on this blog. But, if it's enough motivation for me to make healthier snack choices, then I'm happy with it.


:-)


Do you ever trick yourself into making healthier choices? How has it worked for you?


P.S. Sorry about no Tasty Tuesday. I didn't remember to take pictures of anything after breakfast... I'm a terrible Tasty Tuesday blogger. :-( I am going to try to make it up to you with a Tasty Wednesday or Thursday. I'll get back...


No comments: