Thursday, April 15, 2010

Breakfast sucks. Poptarts, how I miss thee.


The biggest change I've noticed this week? I'm now hungry when I first wake up. It used to be I wasn't hungry in the morning, I would wait a couple of hours until hunger hit. Now, when I wake up at 7, my stomache is growling by 8. I wonder if this is because of no dairy, or something else. Maybe that I've stopped nighttime snacking? So my stomache is literally empty after my eight hours of sleep? Possibly.


Anyway, I hate the breakfasts that I've been eating. All I can think of "to-go" is a piece of fruit with some nuts or seeds. Not satisfying. Well, it does cure my hunger and keep me physically satisfied until lunch (usually) but it's just not what I really want. Probably because I'm sort of detoxing from my old faithful breakfast of poptarts. I just really want something sweet and processed in the morning, is that too much to ask?


I just don't know what to do about this meal. It's supposedly the most important one of the day, and I treat it as such on the weekends. Mostly because on the weekends I have plenty of time to prepare and eat it. Through the week? I eat it in hiding at my desk. Or if I really wanted to, I could scarf it down in five minutes at home before work, or on the way to work. Either way, it's not a good meal experience.


This is why I'm considering making granola bars, because of my craving for anything cookie-like in the morning. But should I be trying to replace my poptarts, or should I just let it go and learn to love fruit and nuts for breakfast? I'm not sure. What would Alicia Silverstone do? (you know, if she were on a budget and had to work Monday through Friday 8-5?)


3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Do you like oatmeal? I eat that and add almond milk and cinnamon, it's easy to make, also eat a banana or another fruit you like. I went to whole foods and got some granola with dried cranberry and I have it as my cereal in the morning with almond milk which is my favorite. (you could go to starbucks for the oatmeal also just tell them to put plenty of water on it) what else you like to eat in the Am? buy pita bread the whole wheat kind and make your self a tofu scramble with spinach or just buy an egg replacer item for this if you don't like tofu. Another option is what Alicia recommends on her books, to eat steam veggies, I like carrots and broccoli or cauliflower. You could also make some whole wheat pancakes and sprinkle cinnamon, brown sugar and maple syrup (grade b) Have them already made and heat in the am and add fresh fruit like strawberries or pineapple. (I know she says no microwave but hey we're transitioning still) You could toast them or put them on the regular oven as well. You can have whole grain bread with peanut butter and jelly and a glass of coconut or almond milk. Omg i'm hungry now! Lol you have endless options, search the web and write down what you like. I have a great recipe for some delicious cookies I'll post it for you soon. But let me know how it goes ;)
take care, and keep it up!

Me said...

I'm a big granola fan! I'll usually have a banana or 2 in the morning as well. Sometimes, if I really have a sugar craving, I'll put some organic dark chocolate in the mix. Hope you can find something good for breakfast!