Thursday, April 29, 2010

Miso soup for breakfast!



not actually my soup, but this looks like it----------------------------->
Check me out. I got up early enough today to make a batch of miso soup for breakfast. And it was delicious! I will have to report back later to let you know whether or not it was filling. Right now, 45 minutes later, my satisfaction holds, but until lunch? Unsure.

It was really good soup. I'm looking forward to adding new things to it in the future and playing around with different flavors and types of miso paste. I started with plain brown rice original miso paste.
Anyway, this is how I made it (per the instructions on the lid of the miso paste, modified only a bit, cut in half because it was for one):

ingredients:
* onion (I just cut a red onion in quarters and used about a quarter, sliced)
* 1/2 tsp. EVOO
* 1/2 cup vegetable broth
* 1/2 cup water
* 1 tablespoon miso paste
* some leftover brown rice (my own addition!)

directions:
1) Put onion in a medium sauce pan with EVOO, saute until onion starts turning translucent.
2) Pour in broth and water.
3) Add miso paste and rice.
4) Simmer 5 minutes.
5) Enjoy!
*I'm mad at myself now for forgetting to add nori, the delicious salty seaweed that I bought just for this, but have actually been enjoying as a snack! Tomorrow?*
Wishing everyone superhero thoughts this morning! Have a great day.


4 comments:

JBN said...

Hey there! Where are you going your protein?

Leah: Not Otherwise Specified said...

I plan to add tofu to this dish at some point. But miso paste is basically bean curd, which is protein. (not to mention that most people can get enough protein from a plant-based diet and have no need to supplement)

JBN said...

Oh! :-)

The more you know...

Leah: Not Otherwise Specified said...

LOL. Miss you!