Friday, April 9, 2010

Oops.

I didn't cook those dishes last night. You know, the flavored edamame and the cherry tomato saute. I have to make them tonight before the zucchini possibly goes bad.

I ended up eating my self-confessed "favorite meal" instead: a four-cheese lean cuisine pizza and a bag of smartpop popcorn. Oh, well.

I still have a few of these, and in the interest of not wasting food, will eat them until they are gone.

My new plan is to be vegan 100% at least every other day. I think that will help speed the transition up a bit.

Since I ate my big-dairy-meal last night, today is a vegan day. My first ever. So I thought I would share my meal plan with you!

breakfast: 12 almonds, 1 medium banana

lunch: 1/2 cup brown rice, 1/2 cup bean trio (canned but organic), side salad w/ oil and vinegar

dinner: Mexican-flavored edamame, mint zucchini cherry-tomato saute, 1/2 cup brown rice and steamed greens

snacks: 5 cups air-popped popcorn w/ 1 tsp evoo, 1/4 cup raisins, some other veggie perhaps?

I would definately be having a sandwich or burrito in there, but I don't think the bread products that I have are vegan. They both have something called "calcium bisulfate" in them, which sounds like a milk ingredient. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

I think that I do need to go to the local Whole Foods and get some vegan bread and tortillas, because I love sandwiches and burritos. Yesterday for lunch I had a tortilla with refried beans, rice and salsa. Delish!

3 comments:

Anne King said...

Hey Leah!

Good job on knowing your limits, and going vegan every other day is better than not going at all ;) Right!

I looked up Calcium Bisulfate ... apparently it's a preservative. It's inorganic, so made from minerals... I don't think it has anything to do with milk... but non the less, probably not very good for you! lol ... Good job in reading your labels though :)

I have been trying to buy mostly organic lately. But I keep noticing "Xanthium Gum" in pretty much all salad dressings and everything else... turns out it's a "natural thickener" ... but it still makes you wonder what the hell we're eating hey! lol

Talk to you soon!
Anne <3

Leah: Not Otherwise Specified said...

Thanks for looking it up! I guess I can have my burritos after all. I'm still working on "vegan" not trying to be a "superhero" yet. :-)

Unknown said...

Hi Leah! It was great and refreshing to read your blog! I congratulate you on starting your vegan adventure! It should get easier with time. It does feel like a lot of work at first to look up labels and say no to family and friends about eating out etc.
But the benefits you'll get at the end will be so worth it!
Keep it up! and good luck!