Friday, April 16, 2010

My "first" trip to Whole Foods...


My first trip there in a loooooong time anyway. And my first trip there as a vegan. It was fun to find all the items recommended in TKD. I did get a couple of processed vegan junk food items: Rice Dream Mint Chocolate Pies, Newman's Own oreos... some sort of seaweed rice crackers.


And yes, I have already tried all three of these, and the verdict is delicious! I only ate two bites of the Rice Dream thing, because I was admitedly intimidated by the nutrition label: 330 calories and 19 grams of fat. Yeah, definately not an everyday food. But I agree with Alicia when she recommended these as spectacularly evil-tasting vegan junk food.


The seaweed rice crackers taste good, but healthy, which is my way of saying that they are not greasy like chips. But not salted cardboard, either. Good.


On to the healthy items I purchased: quinoa, barley, millet, whole wheat couscous, aduzki beans (sp?), red beans, kidney beans, black beans, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, flaxseeds, collard greens, sweet potatoes, whole grain tortillas, nori, miso paste, brown rice pasta.


I ultimately decided against getting the umeboshi plums. I've heard so many bad reviews about them, and they cost $15.99, which just isn't in the budget right now. I know that some day I will get suckered into trying the "Magic Weight Loss Tea", but that day was not yesterday. They were out of brown rice syrup! I was sad, because that was something that I really want to try. Next time...


And yesterday was tax-free day at WF, so I got away without paying sales tax. Awesome. Today I get to start trying new whole grains, which are now the staple of my diet. I'm very excited to see what quinoa tastes like, I've heard nothing but positive reviews.


I will let you all know what I think after I try it. This weekend I will be experimenting not just with grains, but with miso soup and steamed greens for breakfast. Sounds foreign, but I'm game to try anything.


2 comments:

halebop said...

i'm about to head to whole foods myself! (ok, not 'til friday = pay day, but soon!)

is the miso paste you bought crazily high in sodium or not too bad? i love miso soup and hear it's good for you...but the salt in the ones i've found in grocery stores other than whole foods is so high i always put them back down.

i love love love your blog by the way!

Leah: Not Otherwise Specified said...

Thanks for the support, Hilary! I'm not sure about the sodium, that's probably something that I should look at, but don't... I'll let you know tomorrow!