Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Curves is doing Zumba!


I don't mention it nearly enough, but part of my exercise routine is going to Curves. I try to go at least twice a week.
I originally joined for my mom. I really want her to be healthy, and to live to be at least 100 (she's 50 right now). I thought that Curves would be too easy for me, that it was meant for a "more mature" crowd.
But... I have come around. It's been a great ride, going to Curves! I first knew that I wasn't doing this just for Mom anymore when I went without her on a day she couldn't attend. For someone who does mostly cardio workouts, mixing in some strength training at Curves is a great idea! I definately feel it in all of my muscles the next day, especially if I actually work hard.
Anyway, I've always wanted to try Zumba. And now, Curves is offering Zumba classes! It was pretty cool.
Basically, Curves is circuit training (and oh yeah, for women only.). There is a circle of strength training machines, spaced between "rest stations" which are springy boards on which you jog in place or stretch for 30 seconds between the machines. I will usually jog in place.
For Curves Zumba, instead of the rest stations, we were following a Zumba instructor. And the intervals were all for 1 minute instead of 30 seconds.
I loved Curves Zumba! My mom looked amazing out there, doing the Zumba moves along with the rest of the crowd. We all looked and felt pretty silly doing those dance moves. But, we were a team. It was great.
The only sad part about this is that these Zumba classes will only be offered at certain times on specific days. All of those times and days will be when I am either at work or at school. So this will be the only week that I will get to Curves Zumba until summer break. Oh, well. These are the sacrifices that I have to make to go back to school! :-)


2 comments:

Amanda said...

I really liked Curves when I was a member years ago. I also joined with my mom. I wish there was one still by her house because she really needs to take off some weight as well and I know she'd go if it was close. That's awesome that they are having Zumba. I love Zumba. I haven't been to a class in a long time but I always did enjoy it.

Leanne @ The Skinny Architect said...

I love Zumba! I try to get to 4 classes a week, and if nothing else I have noticeably lost inches. My Zumba instructors were thinking about trying this Zumba circut thing during one class a week. Sounds like its pretty awesome!